Austrian Space Activities
114 Austrian companies or research institutes with a focus on technology are active in the space sector, according to the study “Ö-Space – Austrian Space Industry and Research: Database of Market Participants” (Brimatech Services 2011).
Austrian competences, and thus important fields of research, traditionally lie in the fields of satellite-based applications (remote sensing, navigation, satellite communication), spacecraft and carrier systems (e.g. mechanics, lightweight construction, material research, cryogen technology), instruments and payloads (e.g. electronic control systems, embedded systems), and sensor systems.
The study entitled “Austria’s Space Industry and Research: Database of Market Participants,” or “Ö-SPACE” for short, was commissioned by the Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology, Division of Innovation/Technology, and conducted between March 2010 and February 2011.
Distribution of Austrian Organisations in Space Technology
* These figures refer to those organisations that participated in the survey (n=74).
- 114 Austrian organisations are active in the space sector.
- 934 people work for the Austrian space industry and research community.
- The total volume of the market is 125 M€, consisting of commercial projects and research funds.
- For about one fifth (21%) of organisations, the space sector represents their core business.
- The majority of the companies and research institutions (59%) generate less than 25% of their turnover in the space sector.
- Industry: 15% of the companies (6 organisations) are responsible for 80% of the total volume of 71.2 M€.*
- Research: With regard to the research institutes, approximately one fourth of the organisations (26%; 6 organisations) account for 79% of the turnover and/or budget.*
- Technology Transfer: Overall, technologies from almost half of the organisations (42%) are already being used outside of the space industry and research sector. The most important sectors here are geodesy, the aerospace sector, the automotive industry, medical technology, plant engineering, security and the environment.
Segment Rankings by Size Vary Depending on the Approach Used
Segments by Number of Organisations (multiple mentions)
Segments by Spacetechnology Turnover/Budget